The morning started with a POP! then, ‘pling’, ‘shatter’ tinkle tinkle, this is the sound of one of those $ energy saver light bulbs exploding and falling from the ceiling fixture in the living room.

I don’t care much for these CFL bulbs and after reading up on the clean up, I like them even less. And honestly I am even more confused about these things. If it is ‘safe’ to use, why do we need EPA instructions to clean it up?

The EPA  instructions for cleaning up a broken CFL are here : http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html here are some excerpts:

  • Before Cleanup
    • Have people and pets leave the room.
    • Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
    • Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
  • DO NOT VACUUM.  Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken.  Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
  • Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.

Not sure about that, there seems to be glass all over the furniture, Miss Lily’s dog bed as well as the floor, and after I sweep once the ‘worst of it’ is cleared up, do I have to get rid of the broom?

 

 

Advertisements